By Nathan Glavy
Being water smart with your outdoor watering is simple. Give your landscape the water it needs, but be smart about it! Here are a few ways you can water smart outdoors:
Plan your irrigation system accordingly: An irrigation system can be VERY water-demanding if it’s not properly managed.
- Adjust your watering schedule so you are ONLY watering on your set day based on the last digit of your street address: 0,1= Mon.; 2,3= Tues.; 4,5 = Wed.; 6,7= Thus.; 8.9 = Fri. You can always hand water any day, any time.
- Set your controller to the allowed watering times, before 11 a.m. or after 7 p.m. Remember that your watering day BEGINS and ENDS at MIDNIGHT; overnight watering is not allowed.
Keep an eye on the weather. Weather in San Antonio can be unpredictable. Make sure you water your landscape only when it needs it.
- You can easily turn your irrigation system off and on as needed.
- Visit GardenStyleSA for recommended weekly watering advice.
Plan for future restrictions.
- Set your irrigation system in accordance with stage two drought restrictions.
- Your watering day will not change. The only difference will be the hours when you can water with your irrigation system — from 7-11 a.m. and 7-11 p.m.
When you water-smart, your landscape will get the water it needs. If you need help programming your irrigation system, call to set up a free irrigation consultation with one of our conservation consultants by calling 210-704-SAVE (7283) or emailing email@example.com.
Nathan Glavy is a conservation intern with the San Antonio Water System.