Control Your Controller
Good programming of your irrigation controller is critical to saving water. We can show you how in a few easy steps.
Setting your controller is as easy as 1-2-3
You only need to tell your controller three things to set it correctly.
- What time you want it to start.
- What day you want it to turn on.
- How long you want it to run each zone (station).
Don’t forget to make sure the date and time is set correctly on your controller and comply with your city’s watering rules!
Remember to turn off your controller in the winter!
RULE OF THUMB
Use our recommended guidelines, then let your plants guide your final decision and remember there may be lots of reasons your plants don’t look as good as you want. Water is only one piece of the picture.
Once-a-week on your designated day:
- grass/sprays — 15-20 min
- grass/rotors — 25-35 min
- bed/spray — 12-18 min
- bed/drip — 45 min
Adjust season percent to:
- Dec/Jan/Feb 0%
- March 50-60%
- April 60-70%
- May 80-90%
- June 90-100%
- July/Aug/Sept 100%
- Oct 70-80%
- Nov 40-50%
When to Water
- Watering with a handheld hose is always allowed any time, any day.
- Year-round rules allow watering with a sprinkler any day without runoff before 11 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- To be sure you are always in compliance, set your irrigation system to Stage 1 or Stage 2 rules, so if things change while you’re away – you’re good to go!
- During Stage 1, you can water with a sprinkler one day a week based on the last digit of your street address as shown in the left column of the table. Water before 11 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- During Stage 2, your day remains the same but you may only water between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- You are never allowed to have runoff onto streets, parking lots and sidewalks as a result of irrigation.
- For additional drought rules, go to saws.org/WhenToWater.
|Last Digit of Street Address||Watering Day|
|0 or 1||Monday|
|2 or 3||Tuesday|
|4 or 5||Wednesday|
|6 or 7||Thursday|
|8 or 9||Friday|
|No watering on weekends|
Free Irrigation Consultations are available to homeowners with in-ground sprinkler systems.
Our experts will check your system and make sure your controller settings match your landscape’s needs.
You could also be eligible for an Irrigation Design Rebate.