This dish is a family favorite that’s both easy and good — and even better when served up after a hard day’s work in the yard.
Dana’s Easy Potatoes au Gratin
- 2-3 large (or 5-6 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 cup Mexican sour cream
- 1-1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1-1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large straight-sided dish, cover and microwave for 8-10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan; stir in Half & Half, Mexican sour cream, salt and white pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Remove potatoes from microwave and fluff with a fork; stir in 1 cup parmesan and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Add Half & Half mixture to potato mixture and stir well. Top with remaining cheeses and bake about 10-15 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Use any cheese combo you prefer such as provolone, pecorino, Swiss, blue cheese, but be sure to grate it yourself. The pre-shredded bagged cheese has ingredients added to prevent it from clumping and I find it doesn’t melt as smoothly.
- Mexican sour cream, or Crema Mexicana is similar to crème fraiche but easier to find in the San Antonio area and less expensive. It can be found at your local San Antonio area grocery store.